Anyone who knows me will know that I am arguably the nerdiest of all Harry Potter nerds, and I wear this badge with considerable pride. This year I reread each book and watched the film versions as I went, and I’ve just finished Deathly Hallows Part 2, and am sort of paralysed with feeling and emotion and wibbly varieties of the shakes. It’s really hard to put into words how much this story means to me, and the extent of my admiration for J.K Rowling. I’ve read all sorts of scholarly reports that analyse the series and break down the themes and accuse it of being misandric, misogynistic, anti-religion and all sorts, but none of this dents the response this series of books stirs inside me. Also, as a card-carrying member of the literary snob brigade, I have had discussions with PLENTY of people who attempt to blunt my appreciation of the series. They’ll patiently list the faults with the books and it’s really quite endearing that they think it will penetrate any of my enthusiasm. I will love these books until the day I die, and I’m going to be reading them until that day also. Some random stranger on the internet made this list when the seventh book was first released, and I’m going to borrow it for my blog, because I think it says most things I’d like to say, and very concisely too.
1. Hugs to Dobby, for giving your life so freely, for setting an example one could only hope to follow, and for dying “a free elf.”
2. Hugs to Narcissa Malfoy, for proving me wrong, for loving your son, and for making me shriek, “Cissy, you devil!”
3. Hugs to Molly Weasley, for standing fast for your family, for taking on Bellatrix, and for totally pwning her face off.
4. Hugs to Remus Lupin, for being unbearable at times, but also for reminding why I fell in love with your character in the first place.
5. Hugs to Tonks, for giving birth to the only turquoise-haired baby for miles around, for being unchangingly fearless, and for being a HUFFLEPUFF!
6. Hugs to Harry Potter for being a man and not a n00b, for choosing normalcy and a sandwich, and for making me love you at last.
7. Hugs to Ron Weasley, for growing up in the hardest way possible, for facing your fears, and for changing in spite of them.
8. Hugs to Hermione Granger, for putting up with two knuckleheads, for falling in love with one of them, and for beating the Cruciatus Curse like a pro.
9. Hugs to Ginny Weasley, for loving Harry no matter what, for your eagerness to fight, and telling Cho the Ho to BACK OFF.
10. Hugs to Percy Weasley, for giving me a good cry, for seeing your wrongs, and for living to fix them.
11. Hugs to Fred Weasley, for fighting evil unquestionably and for not really being dead, just in another room.
12. Hugs to George Weasley, for losing your ear and your best friend… and fighting anyway.
13. Hugs to Severus Snape, for proving me right, for being more amazing than I could have imagined, for helping Harry understand himself, and for sacrificing your life in order to do so, though you knew it was coming.
14. Hugs to Draco Malfoy, for getting punched by Ron, for managing to retain your family, and for being the Master of the Elder Wand. (Hecksz yes!)
15. Hugs to Neville Longbottom, for fighting injustice at any cost, for backtalking like there was no tomorrow, and for destroying one hell of a Horcrux.
16. Hugs to Grindelwald, for making mistakes and regretting them.
17. Hugs to McGonagall, for being crazy awesome, for keeping your cool collectiveness, and for being ruthlessly brave.
18. Hugs to Kreacher, for your devotion, for your wit, and for your love of Regulus.
19. Hugs to Regulus Black, for being the first to turn on Voldemort even though you knew what that meant.
20. Hugs to Lucius Malfoy, for having peacocks on your lawn (WTF, awesome!)
21. Hugs to Albus Dumbledore, for making me doubt you, for making me trust you, and for explaining everything like I knew you would.
22. Hugs to Colin Creevey, for sneaking into the fight, for fighting your hardest, and for not being afraid of the thought of death.
23. Hugs to Andromeda Tonks, for losing everything you started with and not letting go for a moment.
24. Hugs to Voldemort, for having no idea what Harry was talking about, which while funny, was really, just very sad.
25. Hugs to Mr. and Mrs. Cattermole, because I’m sure you’re both very confused and of course a hug from a stranger would help.
26. Hugs to Dudley, for finally growing up, for letting go of prejudice, and for being the coolest Muggle ever.
27. Hugs to Luna Lovegood, for weathering what would kill most and for fighting just as hard.
28. Hugs to Fleur Weasley, for standing by your man, for growing out of your original snootiness, and for not forgetting.
29. Hugs to Ernie MacMillan, for putting your pompous attitude to good use!
30. And lastly, hugs to J.K. Rowling, for teaching me lessons in life and love, for making me laugh, for making me cry, and for giving me one of the best presents of all time, a gift that keeps on giving.